Data Scientist (Python-based)
We are looking for a full-time (80-100%) Data Scientist (Python-based) who will join our database team in Amersfoort, the Netherlands, starting as soon as possible. Do you have the ambition to work on the cutting-edge of sustainability data and software? Would you like to work on technical projects and develop exciting solutions in a growing international organization to contribute to a positive change in the world? Are you eager to challenge yourself and accelerate your professional and personal growth? Then you might be the new colleague we are looking for. In the world of sustainability, good and reliable data are both crucial and sometimes hard to come by. Effective experts work with a variety of data sources and databases. Managing and combining multiple data sources can be challenging, and PRé is a leading provider of services to make data of various sources accessible and usable together. Through this, we enable data users to perform the best and most informed decisions.
At PRé, we help companies turn sustainability strategy into action. Our fact-based consulting services, training and software solutions, including the groundbreaking SimaPro, are grounded in our 30 years of pioneering experience in life cycle thinking.
Organizations reach out to us to measure, improve and communicate their sustainability performance and to help them shape their strategy with regards to sustainability metrics. Our trusted SimaPro software solutions are supported by professional consulting and capacity-building services. We combine and manage a multitude of sustainability data sources to provide an exceptional data environment for our users, clients and partners. With everything we do, we strive to get closer to a more sustainable world through our science-based approach guided by innovation, transparency, and collaboration values.
About the Database Team
We are a motivated and growing team of sustainability, LCA and data experts as well as data scientists. Our mission is to bring the highest quality and most extensive data sources available to users and partners and to help data developers manage and maintain their data in our solutions. With a multitude of environmental and sustainability databases we support data users, including large organizations, as well as other database and assessment method developers. With innovative database management and data handling, we connect users to a variety of sources of data on resource consumption, emissions and also impact assessment. In addition to helping data providers reach a broad and diverse audience, we also help clients connect their data to databases and methods. We seek to create a data environment that will help data users create a better world through our work.
There are several types of sustainability data that users need to be connected and interoperable, including:
- background databases that serve very basic, broad needs
- specialty databases targeting specific sectors or regions with more specific data, often relying on background databases,
- product category databases, which contain a variety of data about a certain product category, along with process models, and
- company-internal databases, which serve an individual organization’s needs and describe internal products and processes.
The Database team’s mission is to facilitate the use and creation of all types of databases by simplifying the connection and flow of data between systems of all these types and making all relevant impact assessment methods accessible. This is a unique and crucial role in the LCA community, and we continuously strive to improve our methods through innovation and research. Join us now and be part of this exciting opportunity!
What you will be doing
Are you a structured, innovative, and result-oriented team player with an open, professional work ethic? Do you want to use your data management skills to accelerate sustainable action and innovation across the company?
The main goals of this full-time (32-40 hours) position are to:
- Maintain and expand our data offerings in PRé solutions by developing algorithms and code to implement databases and impact assessment methods.
- Expand and improve our data management and handling processes by developing tools and one-time solutions, as well as participating in projects.
- Ensure quality of data implementations through database analysis and validation work.
- Ensure adequate implementation of databases and impact assessment methods through code-based solutions and in dialogue with developers.
- Maintain a good and open collaboration with the Software development team by providing input and feedback on data management and methodology questions.
- Ensure quality and data supply through interactions coordination with data and database providers and operators.
- Work on user-generated data, exchange of models between various software systems, metadata and nomenclature, data harvesting and interoperability.
What you will bring along
As a company that highly values diversity, curiosity, and collaborations, we are open to people from different professional and educational backgrounds. The ideal person for this role would fit the following criteria:
- University degree in Environmental / Analytical studies/ Nature Sciences/ Industrial Ecology
- Knowledge of and experience with life cycle assessment software, preferably SimaPro
- Experience and affinity with large data sets and complex systems
- Python and coding skills
- Structured and methodical working style
- Strong data and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written English
- Affinity to work on collaborative approaches within the database team
- EU citizen or work permit for the Netherlands
What we promise
Working with us, you’ll be part of a highly diverse global culture that puts people first, our own staff and our customers. Our team of change-makers is passionate about sustainability and science, working together to solve challenging environmental and social problems. To sustain this passion, we make sure our people derive a sense of purpose, mastery and autonomy from their work. We believe in constant learning and knowledge sharing – and we give our employees the tools and the freedom to develop to their fullest potential. We work efficiently and effectively, taking responsibility for the work we do, keeping our commitments with integrity and honesty, living up to the company’s core values.
At PRé, you’ll find:
- A creative, inspiring and challenging international work environment with an open and informal culture.
- A thoughtful group of colleagues, with much personal attention, and an employer who keeps a great eye on work happiness and job satisfaction.
- Competitive compensation, excellent personal development opportunities, on-the-job training and great responsibilities – all while contributing to a better world.
- Training budget of € 1000, – per year to support and empower your individual learning and development.
- Excellent hybrid working conditions, flexible hours, co-working office spaces and working from abroad policy to support your work-life balance.
- And, since we’re in the Netherlands, our job offer wouldn’t be complete without public transport compensation and a bicycle plan.
We’d love to see your application
If you recognize yourself in the profile and feel the drive to make a change, we’d love to hear from you! To apply, please send your CV and motivational letter to Vera Vigh, Junior HR Advisor, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following the pre-screening of applications, we will invite you for a first interview. After a successful first interview, we will conduct a second round. Following success in the second round, we may conduct a formalized screening and assessment of your capabilities and skill level.